Did you know that an eye exam may be just as useful in determining your health as a physical? Unfortunately, many Americans put off seeing an eye doctor if their eyesight hasn’t altered.
Eye examinations are sometimes forgotten when it comes to arranging preventative health checkups. People typically believe that a simple visual screening is sufficient; nevertheless, consulting a qualified optometrist or ophthalmologist for thorough checkups is crucial for everyone’s general health.
Eye Exams Results
A comprehensive eye exam in Bourbonnais is essential for a variety of reasons. Your vision may gradually deteriorate over time, and you may be unaware that you require a stronger prescription.
During the eye examination, your eye doctor will also do numerous tests to rule out eye illnesses such as:
- Retinal abnormalities.
Eye Exams Can Help in the Diagnosis of Other Health Problems
A professional eye doctor will use your eye examination in Bourbonnais to determine your general health. Close examination of the blood vessels in the eye can also help in the detection of serious health issues such as:
- Diabetes. Diabetic retinopathy is distinguished by blood or yellow fluid spilling from blood vessels in the retina of the eyes.
- Hypertension. Tears or bends in the blood vessels of the eye may indicate excessive blood pressure.
- High Cholesterol. High cholesterol may be indicated by a yellow tint or ring around the cornea.
- Thyroid Disease. Graves Disease, sometimes known as bulging or protruding eyes, is a symptom of thyroid issues.
- Autoimmune Disorders. Inflammation of the eyes can be an indication of an autoimmune illness such as lupus.
- Cancer. Unusual eye structure can indicate ocular melanoma (eye cancer), and thorough examination of the eyelids can reveal basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer).
- Tumors. Irregularly shaped pupils or drooping eyelids might indicate a neck tumor or an aneurism.
Eye Care in Bourbonnais
If you are concerned about your overall eye care, visit the most comprehensive eye clinic in Bourbonnais, Nicholas Rutkowski OD, and Associates.
The information provided in this blog post is meant to better understand eye exams and the importance they play. After reading this article, we hope that you will understand why an annual exam can be crucial for your health – not just your vision.
We are happy to offer our services to help diagnose any issues detected during the examination process or answer any questions you may have about eye care in Bourbonnais, IL, so don’t hesitate to contact us today to assist you!