In some settings, such as on an airline, in an air-conditioned room, or after staring at a computer screen for a few hours, you may suffer dry eyes. Sometimes we may not notice the symptoms of dry eye syndrome. This is when our skilled experts can help make a diagnosis for you and offer the best treatment possible.
Dr. Rutkowski, an eye doctor in Bourbonnais, IL, is one of our optometrists at Nicholas Rutkowski OD and Associates. Dr. Rutkowski offers a specialized eye exam in Bourbonnais that helps detect any eye-related condition that might affect your eyesight.
His diagnosis will then serve as the keystone to get you the right treatment for your vision concerns.
What Is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Tears lubricate the eye and prevent it from drying out.
If you have dry eye syndrome, you don’t have enough of the correct sort of tears to keep your eyes pleasant.
This can occur if you do not generate enough tears to keep the eye surface wet or if tears do not stay on the eyes for a long enough period. The ensuing dryness might harm the surface of the eyeball over time.
Dry Eye Symptoms
Among the symptoms of dry eye syndrome are:
- Itching that is stinging or burning (particularly in the corners of the eyes)
- Redness with occasional blurred eyesight
- Fatigued eyes (a feeling like you need to close the eyes)
- Mucous around the eyelids, especially upon awakening,
- The sense of something foreign in the eye (like an eyelash or a grain of sand)
Dry Eye Causes
The following are some of the factors that contribute to dry eye:
- Medical conditions such as arthritis
- Medication such as oral contraceptives, antidepressants, antihistamines, diuretics, and beta-blockers climatic conditions such as dry air and wind
- Irritants such as cigarette smoke, dust, or chemical exposure
- Trauma to the eye (including burns)
- Infrequent or incomplete blinking
- Long periods of screen time
- Laser surgery
- Cataract surgery
The Right Doctor for the Right Treatment
Our optometrists at Nicholas Rutkowski OD and Associates will always assist you in getting the right treatment for your eye dry condition.
Dry eye treatment is tailored to your specific requirements.
- To treat dry eyes, you may need to make a few changes in your life, such a:
- Following the 20-20-20 rule when it comes to screen usage
- Wearing glasses
- Following rigorous contact lens care requirements
- Using Restasis, the only prescription eye drop that can increase natural tear production is also recommended
If you feel lost at what to do if you suffer from dry eye syndrome, contact Dr. Rutkowski’s eye clinic for a check-up!